East TN Adventurers League
Here are AL-specific rules for creating your character.
Adventurers League Legal
Here’s a living list of the content you can choose from to make and level up your character.
- Any official document with the Adventurers League Legal logo to the right.
- Dungeon Master’s Guide: races & classes are NOT legal.
- Elemental Evil Player’s Companion: Races (other than Aarakocra) and spells are legal for EE story origins, see here.
- Monster Manual: Certain specific beasts from the Monster Manual are legal selections for summoning spells, wildshape, etc.
- Other Editions books (including Forgotten Realms) are NOT legal.
- Player’s Basic Rules: EVERYTHING!
- Player’s Handbook: EVERYTHING!
- Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: Most content is legal, see here.
- Third party (non-Wizards of the Coast D&D 5 material is NOT legal.
- Unearthed Arcana content is NOT legal.
Choose a Story Origin
Every few months, D&D Adventurers League begins a new storyline season. The storyline season provides a theme and plot elements that connect several adventures together, forming a sort of “mini campaign.”
When you create a new Adventurers League character, you’ll select the story origin for that character. Most of the time, this is simple—it’s your starting adventure’s storyline season. Your choice of story origin tells you what rules you can use for character options. You can choose any available story origin, even if you plan on playing in another storyline. To see what new options are available in each Story Origin, click here
You can always continue playing an existing character through multiple storylines, as long as your character meets the level requirement for the adventures.
Choose a Background from your Story Origin
As of season 3, characters which choose a Custom background, can choose their starting gear from any of the backgrounds listed in the Player’s Handbook, or Basic Rules. In addition, characters may instead choose starting gear from a background listed in one of the allowed rule sources for their story origin:
- Tyranny of Dragons: Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide
- Elemental Evil: Sword Coast Adventure’s Guide* or Mulmaster Bonds/Backgrounds
- Rage of Demons: Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide or Hillsfar Bonds/Backgrounds
*Elemental Evil characters which choose options from the Elemental Evil Player’s Companion and/or Princes of the Apocalypse cannot use options from the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, and are limited to the website article only.